Learning, the act of gaining knowledge, is a craft unto itself. It starts with questions - the what ifs, how abouts, whys, . . . leading from the unknown to the known, through inquiry, experimentation, travel, and of course pure accident.

This is about how it happens in my life.

Pretensions? or Pretentious

That's it. I'm claiming, and proclaiming, my artistic pretensions.  The drive to create, fueled by imagination and curiosity, has always been a part of my life, although I have not always shown it the honour it deserves.  Some how it just didn't fit me when I was younger: I swam and ran and jumped and read and wrote and tested all very well. It all came easily, working at doing it better was fun, and had real results in the real world.  All the artistic stuff - singing and performance or visual arts - I enjoyed doing them, but rarely in public, rarely showed to anyone.  In hindsight I can see it was fear: the subjectivity of success was terrifying to me. 
Nonetheless I have been creating since a young age. I still have and use a portable easel kit that is well over 30 years old. The easel was part of a water colour set. I used it to do this painting in 1982.


I gave it to my Grandpa Iverson for Christmas that year ("love Tanya xoxoxo"). He was special, and I trusted him.   It was one of the few times I willingly shared something I created, right up to the past 8 years or so.

I also have a sewing box from the same time, and have been making clothes and other items since around age 8. My own sewing machine has graced many a table since 1993. I made my own wedding dress with it.  The funny thing is, since such items are useful and functional, rather than "artistic" I've never had qualms about claiming them as my own creations.  This in spite of making my own patterns and designs  . . .
Ah such is the human psyche. 
Which is why I am claiming my artistic pretensions, not my artistic talent.  I claim inspiration, imagination and the need  to create.  That's enough for me.